Burn Information Line: (209) 754-6600
Copperopolis Residents: (209) 785-7664
As of May 1, CalFire requires a Burn Permit for ALL burning in the County. CalFire burn permits are free and valid for 2 years. Call (209) 754-3831 for details on how to get a permit.
In addition to a CalFire Permit:
You are required to obtain an Air Pollution Control Burning Permit if:
- The property is 5 acres or more, OR
- You are operating as a commercial business (regardless of parcel size)
Air Pollution Burn Permits are good for 1 year from the date of issuance and they cost $12. See below for Rules and Regulations that must be followed when burning.
There are 3 ways to obtain a burn permit:
- In person - The permit cost is $12.00. The Department accepts cash, checks or Credit Card (+ $1.75 service fee).
- By Mail - If you need to renew your existing permit, you may submit your $12.00 payment by check including your Permit Number to: APCD 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, CA 95249 and a new permit will be mailed to you. If you have never had an Air Pollution Control Permit before, click here for an application form.
- Online - You can renew or apply for a new permit online. Click Here for Online Credit Card Payments ($12 plus an additional $1.75 service fee) Once payment has been received, your permit will be mailed to you.
If you will be conducting a prescribed burn on an area greater than 10 acres, or burning more than one ton of material, a Smoke Management Plan (SMP) is required. Please contact the District at (209)754-6588 for more information.
Whether or not you are required to have a burn permit, you MUST follow all of the Rules and Regulations regarding burning in the county. For a 2 page fact sheet that includes a summary of the Rules most often needed for residential burning, Click here. The factsheet also includes tips and techniques for how to burn with less smoke and lessen the chance for the smoke to become a public nuisance.
For a complete copy of the Calaveras County Open Burning Rules and Regulations, click here.
Please contact the District at (209) 754-6588 for further information