Burn Information Line: (209) 754-6600
Copperopolis Residents: (209) 785-7664
Everyone must adhere to all rules for burning whether or not they are required to have a burn permit.
CalFire does not require a permit at this time. As burn ban season approaches, CalFire will also require their permit to burn which has additional limitations on burn requirements. That happens on or about May 1. CalFire burn permits are free and valid for 2 years. Call (209) 754-3831 for details on how to get a permit.
In addition to a CalFire Permit:
You are required to obtain an Air Pollution Control Burning Permit if:
- The property is 5 acres or more, OR
- You are operating as a commercial business (regardless of parcel size)
Air Pollution Burn Permits are good for 1 year from the date of issuance and they cost $12. See below for Rules and Regulations that must be followed when burning.
There are 3 ways to obtain a burn permit:
- In person - The permit cost is $12.00. The Department accepts cash or checks.
- By Mail - If you need to renew your existing permit, you may submit your $12.00 payment by check including your Permit Number to: APCD 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, CA 95249 and a new permit will be mailed to you. If you have never had an Air Pollution Control Permit before, click here for an application form.
- Online - You can renew or apply for a new permit online. Click Here for Online Credit Card Payments (Also $12 plus an additional small service fee) Once payment has been received, your permit will be emailed to you at the email address you provide on the website.
If you will be conducting a prescribed burn on an area greater than 10 acres, or emitting more than one ton of particulate matter (about 100 tons of wood), a Smoke Management Plan (SMP) is required. Please contact the District at (209)754-6588 for more information.