Burn Information Line: (209) 754-6600
Copperopolis Residents: (209) 785-7664
CalFire will requires a CalFire permit for every burn in the county. They are available at burnpermit.fire.ca.gov.
CalFire permits have safety restrictions such as limiting pile size to 4 feet by 4 feet, requiring a 10 foot clearance down to bare earth, and a person in attendance at all times with water and a shovel. No burning shall be undertaken unless weather conditions, especially wind, are such that burning can be considered safe.
Everyone must adhere to all rules for burning whether or not they are required to have an Air Pollution burn permit.
When burning is allowed, you are required to have an Air Pollution Control Burning Permit if:
- The property is 5 acres or more, OR
- You are operating on the parcel as a commercial business (regardless of parcel size)
Air Pollution Burn Permits are good for 1 year from the date of issuance and they cost $12. See below for Rules and Regulations that must be followed when burning.
There are 3 ways to obtain a burn permit:
- By Mail - If you need to renew your existing permit, you may submit your $12.00 payment by check, include your previous APCD Permit Number to: APCD 891 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas, CA 95249 and a new permit will be mailed to you. If you have never had an Air Pollution Control Permit before, click here for an application form.
- Online - You can renew or apply for a new permit online. Click Here for Online Credit Card Payments. Permits are $12 plus an additional service fee. Once payment has been received, your permit will be emailed to you at the email address you provide.
- Walk-In - If mail or online is not an option for you, you may come to the office to purchase a permit at the counter. Masks and social distancing are required.
If you will be conducting a prescribed burn on an area greater than 10 acres, or emitting more than one ton of particulate matter (about 100 tons of wood or about two hundred 10'x10'x5' piles), a Smoke Management Plan (SMP) is required. Please contact the District at (209)754-6588 for more information.